A delicious summer salad perfect for Al Fresco dining in our wonderful South African sunshine.
- 2 – 4 The Duck Farm Smoked Breast Fillets, thinly sliced
- 75g (½ cup) whole hazelnuts
- 1 x 80g pkt baby rocket or other seasonal salad leaves
- A handful of prunes, halved
- 2 – 4 poached pears, sliced
- 5ml vanilla flavour
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Blue cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fig reduction
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Duck or poultry spice, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the hazelnuts over a baking tray and cook in preheated oven for 5 min or until toasted. Place the hazelnuts on a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Coarsely chop and set aside in a bowl until required.
2. Meanwhile, poach the pears in water, vanilla and cinnamon sticks. Drain and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing, mix well and season to taste.
4. Place the salad leaves, prunes and pears in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss until just combined. Top with duck slices and crumbled cheese and sprinkle with hazelnuts – serve and savour!